Sign in to follow this  
1left

Norway Spruce mushrooms

Here is what I suspect is a slightly over sized Boletus subcaerulescens based on mushrooms I found in this same area a few weeks ago with dark brown caps fading with age and the near full reticulation, plus the coloring and stipe's flesh is a bit firmer than the King Boletes I usually find here,. The size of this mushroom has me questioning myself though as it is 9 inches across the cap and weighs 1 1/2 pounds which seems much larger than the others I found here earlier and most the info I'm finding have a large cap for B subcaerulescens at 7 inches. Also in the photo are a few fresh Clitopilus prunulus which usually means a nice flush of King Boletes may appear here soon. Thanks for your thoughts on these photos.

post-645-0-67733600-1408411185_thumb.jpg

post-645-0-80641200-1408411199_thumb.jpg

A day late, but still a few Boletes fresh enough for a good meal and some drying. It is interesting to finally try and separate these large boletes I previously believe were all just different looking Boletus edulis, the caps of the still unverified B subcaerulescens are strikingly different in feel and wrinklyness from the sticky-bun cap of the mushrooms on the right. In the past I would dry these mushrooms together so it will be interesting to see the different aromas and flavours of these mushroom now that I have bottled the dried ones separately.

post-645-0-91493700-1408745144_thumb.jpg

post-645-0-72055500-1408745188_thumb.jpg

Nice haul! WE are suppose to get 3 inches of rain this weekend. I will have to get out next week.

The area I gathered these in has been a very reliable spot for a number of years while most other conifer and mixed forest types in my area can go decades between large fruitings of these types of Boletus mushrooms. Here is a photo from Sept 2012

post-645-0-99770400-1408758553_thumb.jpg