Enokis?

Here in PA I find Flammulina velutipes most often during early to mid spring; usually on dead hardwood trees with bark remaining. But sometimes on wood with no bark. Stalks are usually --but not always-- dark and velvety on the lower half. Spore print is starkly white. Unless found in dry weather, the caramel-colored cap surfaces are usually viscid to sticky. 

52 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Here in PA I find Flammulina velutipes most often during early to mid spring; usually on dead hardwood trees with bark remaining. But sometimes on wood with no bark. Stalks are usually --but not always-- dark and velvety on the lower half. Spore print is starkly white. Unless found in dry weather, the caramel-colored cap surfaces are usually viscid to sticky. 

Hi Dave,

You have said this before about Enoki.

Yet, it contradicts virtually all field guides and on-line sources that say to look for  F. velutipes  in late fall and early winter. 

On the other hand, the only specimens I ever found were on a dead Elm in mid August.

Makes me think that seasonality listed in field guides is not totally reliable.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:28 PM, JOHNY said:

Hi Dave,

You have said this before about Enoki.

Yet, it contradicts virtually all field guides and on-line sources that say to look for  F. velutipes  in late fall and early winter. 

On the other hand, the only specimens I ever found were on a dead Elm in mid August.

Makes me think that seasonality listed in field guides is not totally reliable.

Mushrooms are the best at following rules

Of course they are. 

Last fall, our mushroom club had a walk in one of our state parks.  Our group found a large birch polypore. When we got it back, one of the more knowledgeable guys looks at it and points out how it grew in several different directions.  He said, “This must have grown on a log lying on the ground.  After it started growing, someone apparently kicked the log and rolled it. Then later it was kicked and rolled again. And then again, as all mushrooms are geosynchronous.”

Then we pointed out to him that we had to use a stick to knock it down from where it was growing about 14 feet up in a tree.   It would have made an interesting lamp.