Identification required. Any pro in Ontario Canada mushrooms?

ira

Hello 

anybody can help identify mushrooms find to be grown on sandy ground between fern after rain in April in Kemptville woods, eastern Ontario Canada? Very short, almost no stamp ( what you see on photo, it is all stamp, just cup at the ground). Cappuccino colour with darker toward chocolate colour to center. No ring. I like the smell, earthy. Soft gills. 

Is it eatable? 

image.jpg

On 5/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, Dave W said:

Melanoleuca makes sense to me. The genus produces some of the earliest seasonal terrestrial mushrooms. 

Only mushrooms confidently IDed to species should be consumed. 

Dave does Melanoleuca confidently Identified here or not ? I am about consumption.

Melanoleuca alboflavida is a reasonably good edible species (caps). These do not look like M. alboflavida.  I haven't eaten any other species of Melanoleuca. 

M. brevipes has a very short stalk. M. cognata also looks like a possible match for the ones seen here. Champignons du Quebec lists M. brevipes as "mediocre". I would recommend not eating any mushroom that is not IDed with high confidence. 

Ira, what do you mean by "what you see on photo, it is all stamp, just cup at the ground"? I don't understand the use of the word "stamp"?  

Photos showing entire mushrooms are recommended for discussion of ID. But, even if such photos are available, sometimes more information is required to achieve high confidence; sometimes microscopic traits are needed.