Welcome Everyone!

ladyflyfsh

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Tamara!

I am glad you chose to join the group. It is fun to share your finds and get help in identifying mushrooms, or confirming your identification. Look out for Morels. They should be up in your area.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all. I'm a forager-for-fun living in Northern IL. I look for edibles I'm comfortable identifying (hen of the woods, morels, oysters) but like trying toidentify other mushrooms, even if I'm not going to collect them for dinner. I have a little blog in which I keep a diary of my forays. And I like to cook, and will be adding recipes I develop, too.

Hello fungrrl! Sounds like you will fit in very well around this neck of the cyber-woods. Folks here will have suggestions about IDing edible shrooms. But for some varieties, it's best to get confirmation from someone who is able to examine the mushroom first hand. This is one good reason for joining a mushroom hunting club. Sometimes we may be able to settle some things right here; like telling a chanterelle from it's toxic look-alike Jack 'o Lantern. We may also help you locate habitat for some good edibles. It's easy to post photos here, and usually someone will have a suggestion or two regarding the ID. Lots of culinary ideas exchange hands here.

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. Dave, I've looked into the IL Mycological Society, but it looks like their meetings are on Monday nights which doesn't work for me. If anyone can recommend some other clubs, I'd be grateful. The IMA is the only one I've found.

Tasso, thanks for the note - I'm scouting public lands that permit hunting and it looks like the IL state parks allow it. I'm thinking of visiting Chain o' Lakes when it warms up, I'll DM you.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

We have a bunch of new members so welcome everyone. I hope you'll all take a minute to introduce yourselves and tell us a little about where you live and what you hunt for in your area.

• 6 months later...

Dear all,

I am a biologist working at the University of Évora, in Portugal. My main activity with mushrooms has been to introduce mushroom lovers to the science and the art of identifying these organisms, so neglected in our country, and in general to stir enthusiasm (and knowledgeable caution) for them. I can claim some success in this activity but there is still a lot to be done. Apart from that, I work with ectomycorrhizas and forest tree genetics.

In case you understand Portuguese, let me know what you think of the GUME site

I also collaborate in a national forum on mushrooms called Cogumelos de Portugal

• 6 months later...

Morning all;

First, my thanks to admin for a very prompt response to my registration.

Now ... I've looked around the site a bit. This looks like an awfully nice place to hang out. I'm looking forward to becoming an active part of your community.

blessings

Sam

• 1 month later...

jw, I took this photo and the mushrooms in this photo are Armillaria mellea. Honey mushrooms are edible but for some can cause some stomach upset and some advise you boil them first prior to cooking to eat. I've never eaten them but I know there are people on this board who do eat them.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...