Welcome Everyone!

ladyflyfsh

Hi Everyone, if you had installed an avatar at the old "free" board, you will need to reload that image to this board because those files were not transferable. Sorry about that! The good news is, not too many of you had them yet! :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi to all,

I do my mushrooming in SW Coastal Oregon, and our season is only just now getting started with the advent of our autumn rains. Mary is an old friend from her Oregon days, and she has invited me to join the discussion here. I tend to over-talk any topic being discussed, but Mary knows how to shut me up.

I'm also a blogger, and I love visitors - stop by, we may be into some interesting discussion there too. https://drfugawe.wordpress.com/

Hey guys, good to see you all again! A big thanks to Mary and the others for getting this up and running, it's much appreciated! We've had over 3" of rain so far this September w/ cool and damp weather forecast, so I'm looking forward to a potentially great Fall 'shroom season...good luck all!

Hello, Calvert here.

Been pretty busy, and havn't posted in months (years?) but I still look once in a while. Thanks to Dufferin to letting me know the board had moved.

what happened to the old board?

Anyways, happy picking, leaves are starting to fall here, a good breeze today is knocking them off like...I don't know what.

glad to be back (or still here)

Calvert!!!

Hey Calvert! So good to see you....wow, it's been ages since we've seen you. I hope now you won't be a stranger and will stick around and post. What's happening mushroomwise in your area? Picking anything of interest? Seeing anything of interest? We have a bunch of new people on here so it will be fun to see more variety of what people are finding out there since we have a good representation of the US and Canada. Well Canada is only represented by east and west and nothing yet in the middle!

Anyway, great to see you and thanks for coming back.

Mary

Great to see the old gang back together. I need to get out in the woods. I did find a wonderful flush of oysters. I will put up pics in a different thread when I have some time. I was stoked to see that a new forum was up, but now that makes 4 :blink: forums for me. :lol:

Happy hunting everyone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see how y'all are. Just run off and leave me again. You can't get rid of me that easy. :internets: I've been searching the web since the other site went down. Now I can finally go to sleep. :)

I'm glad the site is still here, thanks to Mary? for keeping it going.

Hi MisterNatural...is that the same name you used before? I don't recognize it....what was the name you used on the old board? Anyway, we are pleased as punch you found us. I wish I had a master list of all the people who were already on board prior to the meltdown of the old board so we could contact them and make it easier to find us. For now I guess we will have to depend on Google and Yahoo etc. who are doing a bang up job on the search engines. Anyway, thanks for your persistence and welcome aboard!

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

My name is Vladimir Gubenko and I just joined Wild Mushrooms. I started mushroom hunting about 8 years ago and originally was only interested in edible mushrooms. Now that the stomach is satisfied I am starting to get interested in the non edible mushrooms.

A month ago, or so, I ran across an article, on the Internet, by William Rubel and David Arora that has a very long title so it is easier just to give the link on my web site:

http://www.mushroomhunter.net/muscaria_revised.pdf

I found it very interesting and hope that you do also. I was born in Russia but lived in this country since I was 11 years old. I learned mushroom identification the American way but I am torn between the American way and the Russian way as far as preparing the wild mushrooms for the table. In this article Mr. Rubel describes several ways to detoxify Amanita muscaria so that it is safe to eat. I tried it and found A. muscaria a choice edible. It was late in the season when I tried it so I am looking forward to eating it again next year.

I wonder if any of you have eaten A. muscaria?

Vlad

Welcome aboard Vlad!

I had read the Arora article awhile back. But I have yet to try Amanita muscaria. I have also read that the relative amounts of different toxins found in A. muscaria vary regionally, with some geographic areas having a strain that is more dangerous than other areas. The A. muscaria that I find here in the eastern US -actually now called Amanita amerimuscaria since it differs genetically from the European true muscaria- is yellow to orange, or sometimes almost pure white. But I never find the deep red-capped version that is found in the Rocky Mountains, or in the far north.

post-20-0-65007100-1291170307_thumb.jpg

One thing that is the same for Russian as well as American tastes seems to be a fondness for dried Boletus edulis, and other of the related choice boletes which Russians call "whites" for their white non-staining flesh. Here in the eastern parts of North America we get several very good varieties... very good, that is, if you find them before the bugs do!

post-20-0-32580000-1291170279_thumb.jpg

Hi Vlad and welcome to our community! Since you were young when you moved to the US, I'm curious if your parents did any mushroom hunting in Russia? I know it is a big deal pastime there so just wondering why it took you until 6 years ago to get into mushrooms.

It's a big deal with Italians as well and I used to run into huge families and groups of Italian Americans along the northern CA coast looking for Porcini. I actually learned a lot from them as they always found more than I ever did. I asked one guy to teach me what he was looking for and he took me back to an area where I'd already looked and we found a bunch that I hadn't even seen when I was there the first time. They always hunted with big sticks they could punch into the tall grass and listen for a thump. I never thought to even look in the tall grass clumps. I was more looking around trees and they were looking more out in the open. It was a great education for me being taught by people who grew up being carried on the backs of their parents as little children who learned from them at a very early age. The funny thing was, at the guy's house, there were gallon glass jars with dried porcini dating back to the 1950's that had never been eaten. I think they were more into finding them than actually USING them! lol They had literally gallons and gallons of dried porcini sitting there and inside the jars they had peppercorns and if I remember correctly, bay leaves.

AHA! I finally found where my first introduction went to. Yes, David W, I too have the yellow or the yellow with a rosy center variety here in MA. Until Rod T came up with the new name of Amanita amerimuscaria it was called Amanita muscaria var. formosa. A lot of people still call it that. What I read is that our variety has even less of the intoxicating chemicals than the real Amanita muscaria so I figured that it was worth trying. Like I said I found it choice when picked in the button stage. I wonder why Rod T did not use the name Amanita muscaria var. americanus? Probably saving that for the traditional colored one found in California?

On a forum where the members like intoxicating mushrooms some posts claimed that Amanita amerimuscaria has little if any intoxicating chemicals. I used about 3 times as much water as recommended in the article and more salt and boiled it longer but cut it into larger chunks. I had to rinse it and then leave it cold water in the refridge overnight to get rid of the salty taste. I could not try a second time because the season ended. I plan to use less salt on the second try.

Yes, Russians like short common names. They call the Scaber Stalk they find on the Cape “Red”. I read that “White” name came about because white means pure and exalted. It has nothing to do with the color of the flesh.

David Arora and William Rubel are in the process of running tests on A. muscaria they find in California to determine the range of toxicity. I offered to send William some of our yellow variety but he said that their lab costs were already too high.

I *think* that the eastern NA "muscaria type" has been named "amerimuscaria" instead of "muscaria var. americana" because the DNA suggests it is a species completely seperate from the true Euro muscaria, and not a mere variant.

Vlad, I'll be interested in following your edibility experiments with the Fly Agaric.

David,

Thank you for the explanation as to how that Amanita was named. It makes logical sense. I am looking forward to next season and more dishes using A. amerimuscaria. I will keep the group informed.

William Rubel told me that David Arora is working on a mushroom book that will deal with how different cultures prepare wild mushrooms for the table. I hope that David learns Chinese and pumps those people on how they prepare wild mushrooms. It appears that they have more experience than anyone else in the world. That is the kind of guide to edible mushrooms I would buy. I never bought a guide to edible mushrooms because they are written by US authors who basically incorporate the American prejudices toward wild mushrooms and list only about 100 edible mushrooms. I think they miss a lot of good to choice edibles because they do not consider detoxifying mushrooms as an option.

Here is a picture of a button that I detoxified and ate. 2nd picture on the page.

http://www.mushroomhunter.net/1004102.htm