Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'laetiporus sulphureus'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • In The Field
    • General Mushroom Discussion
    • Identifying Mushrooms
  • In The Kitchen
    • Cooking with Mushrooms
    • Share Favorite Recipes
  • Cultivating Mushrooms
    • What Kind of Mushrooms are you Growing?
  • In The Library
    • Books, Magazines or Research Articles of Interest
  • Mushrooms as Medicine
    • Use of Medicinal Mushrooms
  • General Discussion about Everything and Anything
    • Open Forum for Any Topic
    • Introductions

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL








Found 2 results

  1. Hello everyone! I'm looking for a final confirmation that what I'm looking at is indeed chicken of the woods (laetiporus sulphureus). This was the firs time I actually found one. I barely noticed a bunch of bright yellow blobs growing on the base of the cherry tree. My first thought was chicken of the woods, knowing it basically has no lookalikes that are this yellow. But on further inspection I was a bit confused because I expected fan like shelves, not blobs. My confusion grew once I poked the "blobs" with my finger and noticed it's not spongy and leather like, but really like wet bread and full of transparent liquid. Later I read in the book this is exactly how young specimens are. And cherry tree is noted as a common host along side oak, beech and willow. I took these pictures in this stage on 22.05: Now I returned at the place on 06.06. and to my surprise, the few blobs really took off big time! bunch of shelves on top of each other, everything really fanned wide. Not really that yellow anymore but still enough for me to be reasonably sure it's chicken of the woods. The feel to it now is really what I expected in the first place, spongy and brittle. I'm not really sure if it's a good edible at this stage, but I don't think I would have trouble chewing it after cooking. Unfortunately, it was really low to the ground so it got tangled in with the grass and dirt. Also, bunch of beetles are boring the cherry wood around it so it's also full of the wood chips on top.. Spore print is white: I'm basically just looking for a confirmation and maybe a thought or two about edibility at this stage. Also, I keep reading about some people not having a good stomach reaction to chicken of the woods, but I can't seem to find a proper explanation is it really inability to process it or is the problem because people sometimes confuse it with another lookalike that grows on eucalyptus. Cheers!
  2. I've never foraged a mushroom before, but feel like this is either Laetiporus cincinatus or Laetiporus sulphureus. Can anyone help confirm my suspicion? Found on the ground on the base of an oak tree that had seen better days but was still alive towards the top. I live in Massachusetts. It feels damp to the touch and is roughly 10inches across and weighs about 3-5 lbs.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.