More Suillus

Amara

So far it seems like there's no shortage of these pore bottomed guys from coast to coast. Found them on a family bike trip at Hilton Falls Agreement Forest in a maple section.

I took some samples to print and disect but overall they werent great looking, mostly rotten, ranged in dime size to hand size. There seems to be a lot of different types of Suillus. Pretty sure they're not a bolete type but I wouldn't know as this is the first year I've found this type of deal.

post-1408-0-42813600-1472349925_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-29005500-1472349946_thumb.jpg

Agree with Dave. Americanus is not a great edible. Although they can be prolific enough I'll ocassionally harvest firm buttons. They do dry alright and can be used as an add on with more flavourable mushrooms. Subvelutipes is extremely common this time of year. At times all I find is b. subvelutipes and t. felleus.

Although it's pretty neat to slice open a subvelutipes and watch the staining.

I think Calvert once mentioned his Quebec club harvested them. Not something I'd be willing to try!

Bty the s. americanus is normally associated with pines. Hardly ever find any edibles in maples. I've seen one white pine, with associated s. americanus, all by it's self in hardwood forests.